So today is my birthday. My big 25! I’m officially a quarter of a century old.
In the past few years, I’ve grown. Getting older definitely isn’t what I imagined it would be years ago. I couldn’t wait to get older, to be a good ol’ grownup. Although I didn’t take into account all of the responsibilities I’d have. I think your mid-twenties is definitely the time when you start to figure yourself out, to see who you’re becoming, and who you want to be. I’ve screwed up shit, made good and bad decisions, learned, and grown. And everything I’ve done has led me to where I am now – which is pretty damn happy.
AND HERE ARE SOME THINGS I’VE LEARNED:
- Move on. There are things that are going to be hard to let go, even when they’re out of your control. It could be relationships, people talking behind your back, or simply something that didn’t work out. Whatever it is, move on.
- Dreams don’t work unless you do. Very rarely do your dreams fall smack dab in the middle of your lap. If you want something, start now. It’s most likely not going to be easy, but you’ll be happy when you’ve reached the finish line.
- Do what you love and what makes you happy. Quit caring about what other people will think.
- Your past does not determine who you are or your future.
- Eat the cake. Eat the fucking cake and don’t feel guilty about it.
- YOU ARE NOT FAT! Stop calling yourself that. Stop it right now.
- You’re beautiful for being you. Don’t let anyone tell you any different.
- Tell your parents you love them. Cherish the time you have with your family because you never know how limited it might be.
- It’s okay to say no. Don’t feel guilty or pressured to do something you don’t want to do.
- Women are your allies, NOT your enemies. Her success isn’t your failure. Be supportive, not jealous.
- People are assholes. No matter what you do, there are people who never have anything nice to say. Flip them the finger, walk away, and forget about them.
- Facebook is the kingdom of engagements and babies. You scroll down your newsfeed and see the holy land of families. Don’t feel like you’re running behind because you’re not there in your life yet. It’s okay to move at your own pace.
- The internet can be a cruel, conniving bitch. People always have bigger balls behind a keyboard.
- If what you are going to say is offensive or an asshole move, stay silent. Not everything requires a comment.
- Apologizing isn’t a sign of weakness. It shows maturity and courage.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help every now and then. We’re still learning and growing.
- Learn to enjoy your own company.
- Treat everyone with respect and expect the same in return.
- Relationships take work.
- Never beg for a relationship or friendship. If someone isn’t putting as much effort in as you are, wish them well and move on.
- Shit could be worse. Shit could always be worse. Remember that.
- Take risks and don’t care what people say.
- And don’t be afraid of failure.
- Nothing is worth it if you aren’t happy.
- Help people, but don’t do it for praise. If the first thing you do when you help someone is think about how you’re going to put it on social media, you’re doing it for all the wrong reasons.
Leave a Reply